What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
What do VISTA members do?
- AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national community service program sponsored by the federal government.
- Members receive a modest living allowance in exchange for a year of service in low-income communities.
- MAVA VISTAs serve full-time for one year across the state to develop, expand, or improve volunteer programming that connects Minnesotans to the resources needed to move out of poverty.
- Learn more: NationalService.gov/vista.
- Improve your organization’s engagement of volunteers to better meet your mission
- Develop or expand volunteer programs, create or expand volunteer or staff training, strengthen partnerships, research and develop volunteer program resources, and more
Members don’t replace a staff position or perform ongoing volunteer management functions. MAVA only assigns VISTAs to organizations that have a volunteer resources staff position in place
Your site provides member support, supervision, and a welcoming environment.
Is my organization eligible?
Yes, if your organization:
How do we apply?
- Is a nonprofit, educational institution or public agency that serves Minnesota communities in poverty
- Needs a VISTA member to complete a three-year capacity-building project to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of or develop/expand a volunteer program
- Will provide consistent on-site supervision and support to a VISTA member year-round
- Can contribute a portion of the cost to support the VISTA member ($4,000 or $12,312)
- Isn't currently participating in a Service Enterprise training cohort