Volunteer Management Resources
MAVA has compiled a list of general volunteer and non-profit resources including a list of volunteer centers
that will help any volunteer program.
For MAVA members, additional resources in technology, social media, and sample volunteer management materials are available. Become a MAVA member
and access all our resources!
See MAVA's own research and resources on Volunteerism in Immigrant Communities, Engaging Boomers as Volunteer, Engaging Job Seekers as volunteers and more in MAVA Research and Initiatives
Volunteer Management Best Practices
Advocating for Your Volunteer Program
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center -- Website filled with everything you need to know about risk management, includes publications, consulting, workshops, and more.
- Energize, Inc. -- has a great list of recruitment tools, articles, and books.
Volunteer Centered Organizations
Volunteer Position Descriptions
- A Matter of Design -- job design theory and application to the voluntary sector from Volunteer Canada
- Our Shared Resources - This is a free service where volunteer managers can share and access valuable resources in the field, including forms, manuals, position descriptions, templates & tools, tips, ideas, and how-to articles!
Sample Volunteer Policies
- Service Leader.org -- provides an extensive list of volunteer manuals, benefit policies, legal handbooks and more.
- Energize, Inc. -- Learn how to develop volunteer policies with these articles, books, and websites.
Awards and Recognition
- Gather tips from your fellow MAVA members! Search our membership directory to contact volunteer coordinators in similar organizations
Millennial and Youth Volunteers
Volunteer Manager Position Descriptions
- Use this Position Description to illustrate to members what a position description looks like/what skills and experience an employer might be seeking.
Volunteer Management Education
- CVA Exam -- Receive your certification in Volunteer Administration from the Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration.
- Idealist.org provides an extensive list of salary surveys and articles about compensation in the nonprofit world. Most are free!
- MAVA Connections -- This MAVA member benefit allows leaders of volunteers an opportunity to meet monthly and share resources for the development of their professional skills and volunteer program.
- Volgistics Users Gathering -- Open to anyone that uses Volgistics. Attendees can be paid staff, volunteers, former Volgistics users, new Volgistics users, those thinking about becoming Volgistics users, and the list goes on and on. This group meets throughout the year. Contact Shelli Beck when the next gathering will be.